CIBC Investor’s Edge Review 2023

Updated December 13, 2022

Quick Info

  • Standard Equity Commission
  • Best Commission Price
  • Minimum to Open Account
    Not Required
  • Maintenance/Inactivity Fees
  • Commission-free ETF Trading
  • Young Investor Offer
    Yes (students)


2.9/5 (4)

As a bank-owned online brokerage, CIBC Investor’s Edge offers online trading clients the ability to manage and access products from its banking arm.

Like their peers, CIBC Investor’s Edge offers online trading in stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, and bonds. They also have pricing plans for standard and active traders/investors.

CIBC Investor’s Edge Full Review

What Account Types does CIBC Investor’s Edge offer?


    Registered Accounts

    Non-Registered Accounts

Account Fees & Requirements for CIBC Investor’s Edge


    Registered Accounts

    Non-Registered Accounts

Trading Commissions & Fees provided by CIBC Investor’s Edge


CIBC Investor’s Edge Rankings & Reviews for 2023

  • Sorry, no data is available.

How can I contact CIBC Investor’s Edge customer support?


CIBC Investor’s Edge Downtime Report

CIBC Investor’s Edge down? Submit an incident report using our exclusive online brokerage outage tracker and view reported incidents from other users.

Click here to view current CIBC Investor’s Edge Downtime Report

What do people think of CIBC Investor’s Edge?

I’m with CIBC investor’s edge and no APE yet
I’m with CIBC Investor’s Edge. I wouldn’t recommend it, except for the fact that I like selling way OTM naked puts. The margin requirement is only 5% of the strike price. When the puts are near the money, the other formula kicks in: (50% SP) - (OTM amount). They also give me a few days to wait/work my way out of a margin call, if need be.
That’s the thing support sucks they don’t know what’s going on. Some said I’m able to short puts others said no. I checked my trading permissions and they’re enabled. I think it’s just that I need to be 21 to enable margin. I might just use CIBC Investor’s Edge and pay $8.20 per trade. The premiums should cover it easily. What do you think? It’s my best option.
CIBC Investor’s Edge in Canada - >10 min phone call to request NOBO. Read me some disclaimers about Canadian Securities, I asked them to confirm that the information is shared for US holdings as well, they said yes absolutely. Basically, the only warning was that you’ll get all their stuff sent to you - every financial statement, etc etc and it can get overwhelming. No problem, send it my way. Proxy was specifically mentioned as well.
I can answer questions related to just the regular non tax advantageous brokerage situation: Many Canadian brokerages support holding ETFs in USD these days, so it’s a matter of doing your research to verify that they’ll be able hold the Vanguard US ETFs. Transferring them is also usually straightforward; e.g. I was able to talk to CIBC investor’s edge customer support and they were very helpful and sorted all mine out easily (I had boglehead couch potato ETFs) and automatically (though it took a few weeks). Note that Vanguard supports partial units, and not all Canadian brokerages support that (they may only support whole units). Per the tax treaty if you stopped being a US resident for tax purposes I believe you can transfer it and not trigger a tax event, however I recommend keeping the vanguard account open until the end of the year to receive the final 1042-S. On the Canadian side they’ll withhold US taxes and do the reporting automatically. As for 401k and Roth IRAs, those are both US specific accounts with US tax rules so most brokerages out of the box won’t support holding them. There are a few Canadian companies that can act as holding companies but I haven’t personally tried any of them to know how much flexibility I have in adjusting fund distribution. You can also just hold onto these US accounts until you retire and withdraw then; you still have to declare them every year as foreign held accounts though, so that may or may not be something you are interested in. A alternate option is to roll the 401k and Roth IRA into an RRSP; these are a little more complicated and do trigger a US tax event, but not much, so if you’re not having any other US assets it might not be a huge problem. But I would definitely recommend talking to a cross border tax accountant for that strategy. You’re lucky in that you had a green card and will presumably be surrendering it via a form I-407. All the financial institutions seem to want to see I-407 as de facto proof of giving up your US tax resident status, but be prepared to show passport or other proof of not being a US tax resident. At the very least with all these accounts you should file the W8-BEN to notify them of your change of tax residency status.